Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tips for 10-7-09

Things I learned from my Mother by Lani

When I was a kid my mom loved to dye things to make them “new again”, she even attempted to dye a hand made 8x10 rug that my father brought home from Japan. Her “color” was green and the beautiful blue and white Oriental rug wasn’t green! Well that was a true tragedy. I still think about it even after almost 50 years and can see her on her hands and knees in the driveway with a huge pot of dye!

Well, believe it or not, the average home than had a small collection of several different colors of dyes on their pantry shelf. It was used all of the time. I think what happened is people were more of the mind you don’t throw anything out so to make those red towels look nice in your purple bathroom you would dye them to match. You wouldn’t dream of getting rid of them and buying more just to make everything match.
Now, if a pair of pants fades we just toss them or wear them faded. I love and wear a lot of black so I do my black pants, skirts, t-shirts and Bob’s black socks that have turned blue.

I figure if I can’t wear the item except around the house anyway, so what do I have to lose if I ruin it. Though, it really is hard to ruin anything. Dye is so easy to use. I would start simple like buy a box to dye all of your navy or black things. Follow the instructions on the package but they basically say to dissolve the dye, dump it in the machine with some salt, wash and dry. You can hand dye things too. It is about as easy as doing a load of laundry. I usually run the washer thru an empty cycle after.
If you are throwing those pants away because they are faded, try dyeing them and see what happens. Dye isn’t expensive. I use my Jo Ann Fabrics coupon and get it for about half price ($1.25). You can get it at Wal Mart and even some dollar stores or grocery stores.

GRANDMA'S CURES from Sherry
Did You Know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately-- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional 'pain relievers.'
Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey & take 1 tablespoon, six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

GRANDMA'S CURES from Sherry
Did You Know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately-- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional 'pain relievers.'
Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey & take 1 tablespoon, six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment