Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Feed Dad Café Rio style!

You can’t go there on Sunday anyway! Make sure you read all the recipes in the bargains. I tried to re-create the famous Café Rio Pork. I found out the secret was Dr Pepper, but I didn’t follow the recipe, because I thought I would make it better, Well it came out way too sweet. Try this recipe. I do have one tip, I used about ½ the cooking time in my crock pot and the meat was on the verge of disintegrating it was so tender. Make sure either lower the time or the temp.

Cafe Rio Pork Barbacoa
5-6 lb. pork roast
21 oz. Dr. Pepper (or Coke, do NOT use diet soda)
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
7 oz. can chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
6-ish oz. red taco sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Place roast in crock-pot, cover half-way with water and cook on low for 12 hours. (I started my Pork Adventure at midnight and everything worked out perfectly for Sunday dinner at 6:00 pm.) After 12 hours, drain pork (retain liquid if you want sauce for burritos, simply mix with a can of verde enchilada sauce and away you go).
Mix remaining ingredients until sugar dissolves. I didn’t keep the actual chilies, I dumped the can into a bowl and added enough Dr. Pepper to get all the sauce off of the chilies, then I tossed them. I also rinsed out the can with Dr. Pepper for more adobo goodness. My version had a fairly good kick to it, but if you LOVE hotness, then blend everything + 2 or 3 chilies in the blender. (Also, the adobo sauce tends to stain plastic, using a glass or metal mixing bowl will make your clean-up of adobo sauce considerably less frustrating).
Add Dr. Pepper mixture to the roast and cook on low an additional 4 hours.
Take out roast and shred, add back into sauce and cook for 2 more hours. At this point the meat was so tender it practically shredded itself.

Café Rio Easy Pico-de-Gallo
3 tomatoes, diced
1/2 bunch of cilantro, minced
1/2 sweet onion, minced
1 section of green pepper, minced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
about 1/3-1/2 cup vinegar
salt and pepper
Mix it up really well and refrigerate. I put my pico in a Tupperware and shook it up really well right before serving to re-mix.

Throw in, on sale, diced mango and viola Mango Salsa.
OR Add avocados, also on sale, with a little lime juice and a spoonful of sour cream AND viola “Holy Guacamole”!

Cafe Rio Tomatillo Dressing
1 pkg. Ranch dressing mix
3 tomatillos (remove papery skin), rough chop
1 cup mayo
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup (or more) cilantro, rough chop
3 cloves garlic
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp green Tabasco sauce
juice from 1 lime
Dump everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate in air-tight container


Put together the Café Rio Burrito!
Tortilla – you can make your own, mine came from a package.
Cheese -it is a good idea to warm these two up so the cheese is a little melty.
Beans – black or pinto (mine came straight out of the can, warmed in the microwave with a little garlic powder and green Tabasco sauce).
Rice – don’t be stingy now!
Pork - I am actually salivating while writing this post…
Lettuce – Shredded Romaine, you want small enough pieces to get a little of everything on your fork
Pico de Gallo – I like extra pico, so I give myself an extra scoop.
Tortilla Strips – slice a corn tortilla into strips, brush with olive oil and salt and pepper and bake on a foil-covered sheet for 15-20 minutes at 350-ish.
Creamy Tomatillo Dressing – I like to keep mine on the side so my lettuce doesn’t get too slobbery.


Cafe Rio Cilantro Rice
3 cups. water
4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 can (4 oz) green chilies
4 tsp. chicken bouillon
1 tsp. cumin
3/4 tsp. salt
1 TB butter
3 cups rice, uncooked
Bring water to a boil in large pot, add all ingredients. Cook covered for 30 minutes, or until rice is done.


Garlic-Lime Vinaigrette
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dried red-pepper flakes
1/3 c. olive oil
2 TB chopped cilantro
Whisk lime juice, garlic, salt & pepper. Slowly add olive oil while stirring. Add cilantro. Serve over grilled chicken, white fish, or whatever else suits you
r fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment